Why is this medication prescribed?
Atarax is used to relieve the itching caused by allergies and to control the nausea and vomiting caused by various conditions, including motion sickness. It also is used for anxiety and to treat the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.
Hydroxyzine is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should this medication be used?
Atarax comes in capsules, tablets, a syrup, and suspension to take by mouth. It usually is taken three or four times a day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand.Take Atarax exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Shake the suspension (Vistaril) well before each use to mix the medication evenly.
Do not give Hydroxyzine to children less than 12 years of age unless a doctor directs you to do so.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking Atarax,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to Atarax or any other drugs.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially antihistamines; medications for colds, allergies, or hay fever; medications for depression or seizures; muscle relaxants; narcotics (pain medications); sedatives; sleeping pills; tranquilizers; and vitamins.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had asthma, glaucoma, ulcers, difficulty urinating (due to an enlarged prostate gland), heart disease, liver disease, high blood pressure, seizures, or an overactive thyroid gland.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking Atarax, call your doctor.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking Hydroxyzine.
you should know that Hydroxyzine may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
- remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Although side effects from Atarax are not common, they can occur. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- dry mouth, nose, and throat
- upset stomach
- chest congestion
- reddening of skin
If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- difficulty breathing
- muscle weakness
- increased anxiety
What storage conditions are needed for this medication ?
Keep Hydroxyzine in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
What other information should I know?
Keep all appointments with your doctor.
Do not let anyone else take your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.