Why is this medication prescribed?
Candesartan is used to treat high blood pressure. It blocks the action of certain chemicals that tighten the blood vessels, so blood flows more smoothly.This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How should this medicine be used?
Candesartan comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken once or twice a day with or without food. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take candesartan exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Candesartan controls high blood pressure but does not cure it. Continue to take candesartan even if you feel well. Do not stop taking candesartan without talking to your doctor.
Other uses for this medicine
Candesartan is sometimes used to treat congestive heart failure. Talk to your doctor about the possible risks of using this drug for your condition.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking candesartan,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to candesartan, benazepril (Lotensin), captopril (Capoten), enalapril (Vasotec), fosinopril (Monopril), hydrochlorothiazide (HydroDIURIL), irbesartan (Avapro), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), losartan (Cozaar), moexipril (Univasc), quinapril (Accupril), ramipril (Altace), sulfas, telmisartan (Micardis), trandolapril (Mavik), valsartan (Diovan), or any other drugs.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially barbiturates; diuretics ('water pills'); lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid); medications for diabetes; nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen [Motrin, Advil], naproxen [Naprosyn, Aleve], and others); other medications for high blood pressure; potassium supplements; and vitamins.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had heart, kidney, or liver disease or diabetes.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking candesartan.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Talk to your doctor before using salt substitutes containing potassium. If your doctor prescribes a low-salt or low-sodium diet, follow these directions carefully.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Although side effects from candesartan are not common, they can occur. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- muscle aches
- back pain
- sore throat
- runny nose
If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- swelling of the face, eyes, lips, tongue, arms, or legs
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
What storage conditions are needed for this medicine?
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
In case of emergency/overdose
In case of overdose, call your local poison controlcenter at 1-800-222-1222. If the victim has collapsedor is not breathing, call local emergency services at911.
What other information should I know?
Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory. Your blood pressure should be checked regularly to determine your response to candesartan.
Do not let anyone else take your medication. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.